CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2.01.2008

my movie hit list (that's 'hit' as in kill...)

someone recently suggested that I like all movies shot on film (I think they were insinuating that I have no taste when it comes to movies). And while I am a unquestionably a movie enthusiast with a broad range, it's just impossible to not come across some movies that you just loathe, be it because they are out-and-out crap, or maybe that they just don't suit you.
so: here are the movies that are rattling around my head as movies that I dislike, loathe, am creeped out by, or just couldn't sit through, in no particular order...

- Field of Dreams
- Saving Private Ryan (I am aware that this is THE war movie of all movies, but I just don't like it, due to multiple factors including the seasickness-inducing gore sequence at the front, the systematic picking off of any and all likeable characters, and the Spielberg need to provide a bookend with an extra dose of closure to his films)
- Star Wars Episodes 1-3
- Harry Potter 1&2
- Austin Powers 2&3
- Pocahontas
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- The Invisible
- Anything with Christian Slater, Richard Dryfuss, or Marisa Tomei in the cast
- Notting Hill
- 4 Weddings and a Funeral
- Tron
- La Vita e Bella
- The Devil Wears Prada
- Big Daddy
- Happy Gilmore
- The Aviator
- AI
- The Ring (this movie scared the $*% out of me!)
- American Splendor (sorry Paul Giamatti)
- Apocalypto
- Men in Black 1&2
- Batman (all of them prior to Batman Begins, which was FANTASTIC!)
- The Insider (i know it's fantastically filmed, directed, scripted, and acted, but I just couldn't sit through the thing!)
- Closer
- The Bourne Supremacy
- Dirty Dancing
- X-Men 3
- The Butterfly Effect
- any and all James Bond movies
- Cinderella Man (don't hate it, it's just kind of "meh")
- Pay it Forward
- Insomnia (yes, I know that this is actually a great movie, but it mimics the feeling sleep-deprivation so well that I feel like a crazy person every time I watch it)
- Ghost
- Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom
- Apocalypto
- Dodgeball
- anything with Freddie Prinze Jr, Paul Walker, or James Franco (important exception: Spiderman) in the cast
- Freedomland
- The Good Girl (or any other movie where a main character compares themselves to Holden Caulfield)

...I'm sure there are many more...
Katie

8 comments:

The Dorrs said...

Considering I usually fall asleep during anything that lasts longer than 45 minutes, I will have to take your word for most of these...

I will concur with you on Pay it Forward (which I actually saw). Talk about a lame movie. Let's encourage people to help each other so that they can get killed. Awesome plot.

But, Katie, Dirty Dancing?! C'mon. You are a child of the '80s. Stick to your roots.

-b

Katie said...

I have much love for many other flicks of the 80's - Breakfast Club, ET, Pretty in Pink, Back to the Future, Goonies, Terminator... But something about Dirty Dancing just creeps me...

Samantha said...

How to lose a guy in 10 days is one of my favorite movies. I'll admit that, sure.

The Winkleplecks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Winkleplecks said...

Ouch, that certainly does hit!

You stabbed me in the Field of Dreams, Saving Private Ryan (c'mon it has my name in it!), Austin Powers 2 (agree with you on 3), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Dreyfuss), Tron, Happy Gilmore, A.I. (sorta, it is probably 20 minutes too long but the same can be said about a lot of decent flicks), The Ring (only J-Horror American remake I've liked so far), Batman (and Returns), Bourne Supremacy (kind of), The Butterfly Effect (great idea w/chaos theory, not executed as well as it could've been), James Bond, Indiana Jones (even at it's weakest, its still Indy!)...

-Break-
You must really not like Apocalypto since you put it down twice! I haven't seen it...
-EndBreak-

aaand James Franco movies I'll let slide, but not TV.

Although I know that you don't put Baby in a corner, I do agree with Dirty Dancing though (sorry Beka).

Now that I've defended those that I wanted to, great hit list! Another post right up my ally - and surprisingly many of those movies you've marked-for-death I haven't seen yet.

Lastly, I'll share my #1 hit, and the only movie I've ever walked out of the theater for, is Doogal. I went in expecting a Pixar or Dreamworks-esque film, and left halfway through. With the voice-talent though, I expected way more! Shows how important writers are. Check out the IMDB and if you dare, the movie, and I challenge you to not agree.

peteandjenn said...

Yeah-ah! I agree with pretty much all b/c I have movie ADD and can't watch anything but I'll go ahead and stick up for men in black. Will Smith is one of my people.
And is Richard Dreyfuss the dad in What about Bob? Because if so as annoying as he is that movie is classic and thus his one redeeming film.
Love your list Katie!

The Drakes said...

you must really hate apacalypto, you listed it twice. how could you hate field of dreams? A great movie. I must also disagree with several others but I am in a particularly forgiving mood today, that and I am guessing that you were drunk when you wrote this. (as usual)

The Drakes said...

it's j --- apocalypto affected my brain and emotions in a way i can't even describe - in a bad way. i'm adding a history of violence to the list - couldn't finish it. come on viggo. i'm echoing the what about bob defense. you must have been at least a little tipsy for this one. nice list. an excellent use of time at the jbc office.