CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2.17.2008

the big movie weekend!

I love Wes Anderson movies. I just finished 'The Darjeeling Limited' (thanks Kurtis!) and although it didn't topple 'The Royal Tenenbaums' as my all-time-favorite of his films, I believe it will bump The Life Aquatic for the #2 slot.

Something about the color and stylistic choices of his films just make me happy - from the vibrant and thematic colors, to the wardrobe and sets carefully (yet vaguely) combined from somewhere betwen the 1940's the 1970's, the perfect soundtracks, and the joy he finds in examining the broken relationships that we call family.

---

I also watched 'Lars and the Real Girl'. I thought it was going to be a straight comedy (and seriously, the first scene when they introduce the doll, I laughed for 5 minutes straight, so loud I'm pretty sure my neighbors could hear). But then somehow morphed into a sometimes poignant look at mental illness and relationships and love, and how the people around you get you through the worst and best parts of all of them. In the end it was probably a fairly ridiculous movie, but Ryan Gosling is always amazing, but Emily Mortimer and Paul Schneider were particularly effective as the older brother and pregnant sister-in-law coming to grips with their roles in Lars life and illness.

...and now I'm going to catch up on the Lost episodes I've missed online. Good weekend!



3 comments:

The Drakes said...

yeah skippy! i totally loved lars and the real girl!!!! and the older brother guy - seriously, he's amazing. he was good in family stone and i'm glad he had a bigger part so we could really see him work. i could watch this over and over. i just saw the end of once. why did i do that? it's not going to be as fun to watch the whole thing now that i know the end. dang. darjeerling limited here i come. i dig wes anderson movies also. they are rad. (see how i used dig and rad. that's cause i'm cool like that). love you! -- j

oh, i read that the word verification is to keep spam comments away, so if you return it i won't complain.

Katie said...

I know, the scene where he was blaming himself for Lars, I was like "Hey, this guy can act!?!"

oh, and don't worry, the plot of 'once' is secondary to the music anyways...I think you'll still enjoy it even though you already know the ending...

have a fun week with Maureen and A!

The Dorrs said...

I'm sad for the Life Aquatic. It's still my favoritest of all.

Jake