dear God, and I mean DEAR GOD! I'm really bad at watching scary movies (I only got 30 minutes into '1408' before turning it off and promptly returning it - and I LOVE John Cusack). But I just finished watching the entire movie 'Stephen King's The Mist'. (The fact that Frank Darabont directed (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Majestic) was what prompted me to check it out.)
and yes, the monsters were scary (at least to me they were scary: there were bug-type monsters. I hate bugs). I spent most of the middle part of the movie jumping up off the couch and running around the living room shrieking at the characters to "HIT IT! GET IIIIITTTT! RUNNNNNNNN!"
however, the last 30 minutes of the film were spent frozen on the couch in horror, and it had nothing to do with blood or guts or ghosts or bugs or bug-monsters or fear of the dark. this was ultimately a movie about the horrifying darkness lurking within the human soul. it was thought-provoking, grim, awful...impossible to recommend, yet impossible to deny that it was a film worth watching.

4 comments:
yeah, i'll probably skip it, but i would have loved to see your running around the room yelling :) -- j
I felt the same way about the mist. We got to the end of the movie and were speechless....it was...there are really no words to describe it. There is a special interview with King and the director where they start out saying "I know you probably hate the movie by now, but just remember, you loved the first hour." I agree with you, hard to recommend, but hard not to as well.
I have a hunch that you would like the book's ending more than the film's, they're very different. That's all I'll say...
why don't we watch more movies together??!!
Post a Comment