CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

11.10.2008

a good (re)read


I am a re-reader. I cycle through my library regularly. I like to rediscover old characters and form new favorites.

One of my all-time favorite books that I am getting ready to dive into again, after I finish Memoirs of a Geisha, is 'How to be Good' by Nick Nornby (who also wrote High Fidelity and About a Boy). Superb humor of the British variety. I highly recommend, with a disclaimer that there IS some language. (Have I mentioned that I find the f-word hilarious, especially when paired with British vernacular?) You can borrow it after I'm done...but I warn you, I dog-ear the heck out of all the pages. Bookmarks, schmookmarks...



after that I think I'll move on (back?) to 'Til We Have Faces' by CS Lewis. a beautiful, haunting myth retold. Lewis has a weaving way of pointing out (drawing out?) the truth of each of us in the characters.
you should read that one too...

4 comments:

The Drakes said...

The F word is funny in most contexts, however, you are correct, when the Brits use it, it is especially hilarious.

Do you mind if people read your borrowed books on the toilet? (or the Loo if we were in London)

:)

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

i've been looking for the book 'how to be good'. It's always sold out when i go to look for it. Where did your find your copy?

:)Shannon

JBC Youth said...

Drakes - just wash your hands... :)

Shannon - I think I got my copy of HTBG at a used bookstore at the coast. You can borrow it, if you want!